- Coordinating local agencies
- Educating the public
- Planning effective contingencies
- Training of staff and citizens in disaster preparedness
REVERSE 911 (EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM)
Reverse 911 is the city's ability to communicate with residents in the event of an emergency by means of a mass email, call, or text. American Fork, along with Utah County, uses Everbridge for its reverse 911 system.
Currently, American Fork City populates our emergency contact database with information from existing utility accounts through Xpress Bill Pay. But the success of the reverse 911 is only as good the contact information in Xpress Bill Pay.
To make sure you receive an emergency notification please update your contact information in Xpress Bill Pay, including email and cell phone number, or opt in by creating your own account at alerts.utahcounty.gov. We recommend you create your own account in alerts.utahcounty.gov for a few reasons.
- If you live in an apartment or rent you likely don't have a utility account and thus won't get any emergency alerts until you create an account with alerts.utahcounty.gov.
- While we can pull your info from Xpress Bill Pay, the info is very minimal compared to the options available if you create your own account. (If you do create an account our emergency notification has anti-duplication software to avoid duplicate notifications.)
- In your own account you have the ability to subscribe to be notified regarding particular events.
We highly encourage everyone create your own account on American Fork City's alerts.utahcounty.gov alert system.
Your contact information provided is strictly for emergency use and will not be used for general communication nor will it be shared with other parties. Examples of emergencies include:
- Urgent information related to police, fire, or public health emergencies.
- Notification of a lost child.
- Evacuation of a specified area.
- Information about road closings, water main breaks, or other problems affecting specific addresses.
For questions regarding the Reverse 911 you can call the City at 801-763-3000 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Major Incident Plan
The City of American Fork is prepared for all disasters with a comprehensive Major Incident Plan (the plan linked intentionally excludes private contact information included in the full plan). This plan sets up an Emergency Operating Center, with proper emergency chains of command, as well as communication methods to the community. In an emergency the city can use a reverse 911 system to alert residents.
Below are some helpful links that to aid in your emergency preparedness:
- Homeowners Guide to Lighting Safety
- Preparing for Disasters in Your Home: What to Buy, What to Skip
- Emergency Preparedness and Pets
- Important Legal Documents for Emergency Preparedness
- Emergency Preparedness for Seniors
- How to Organize and Prepare for Disasters
- Survival Essentials
- Emergency Preparedness for Property Owners