Welcome to American Fork City's Report a Concern portal. This portal can be used to alert the City to non-emergency issues around town

Within the portal, you can select from several different categories for issues related to parks and trails, code enforcement, roads, sidewalks, water, sewer, city facilities, and more. You will have the option to include a photo and mark the location of the concern. All contact information provided will be kept confidential and will only be used if more information is needed or you want to log in to view the status of your report.

In case of emergency, call 9-1-1. For situations requiring immediate attention, use the contact information provided here.

Contact Information

  1. After Hours/Emergency

    Emergency: 911
    Police Dispatch: 801-794-3970
    City Emergency: 844-AF-Hello (844-234-3556)
    Water: 801-404-1253
    Sewer/Storm: 801-404-7167
    Pressurized Irrigation: 801-404-1253
    Streets: 801-404-1255

    Contract Services/Non-City Services

    Garbage/Recycling (Republic Services): 801-924-8500
    Street Lights (Black & McDonald): 800-814-4311
    Fiber/Broadband: contact your provider
    Rocky Mountain Power: 877-508-2088
    Dominion Energy: 800-767-1689

    City Departments

    Police non-emergency: 801-763-3020
    Fire & Rescue non-emergency: 801-794-3970
    Utilities: 801-763-3000
    Cemetery: 801-763-3095
    Parks: 801-763-3084
    Fitness & Recreation: 801-763-3080
    Library: 801-763-3070

    Public Works: 801-763-3060

Report a Concern Portal

Portal Entry


  1. Click the link to open the Report a Concern portal. (It may take a moment to load)
  2. Choose to sign up for an account, login, or continue anonymously.
  3. Enter the location of the concern.
  4. Take a picture of the concern (optional but very helpful).
  5. Choose the topic that describes the concern.
  6. Provide a brief explanation.
  7. Once you have submitted your report, you will receive a confirmation that the City has received it.